How to Change Your Career:
Manage the Transition
- Have a written plan.
- Build in flexibility to your plan, while keeping focused on the goal.
- Obtain training and certifications if needed.
- Get the support you need.
- Have checkpoints along the way to see how you are doing.
- Plan backwards, starting with ultimate goals and working back to the present.
- Learn to recognize and deal with stress.
- Expect setbacks.
- Don’t burn your bridges when leaving your former job.
- Set smart goals (i.e., specific, measurable, time-based, and well-defined goals).
- Differentiate between critical and tangential areas for success.